03/11/2020 14:46
T
TBP Offline
10 and 5 Guy
TBP  Offline
10 and 5 Guy
T
Originally Posted by SilverFox1
Anthony Rizzo's off the market, Cubs pick up his option. And Nick Castellanos, who was speculated to be a Nats' "Plan B" target, did not exercise his option with Cincy, so he's off the market too.

Brad Hand cut loose by the Indians. He could help us in '21.

I'd like Hand or Liam Hendriks, plus a reliever from the next level such as Shane Greene, Aaron Loup, Justin Wilson, or former Nat Blake Treinen.

MLB Trade Rumors has the Nats signing Marcell Ozuna and Taijuan Walker. Ken Davidoff of teh New York Post has them signing Carlos Santana.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/11/mlb-free-agent-predictions-2021.html

https://nypost.com/2020/11/01/top-mlb-free-agents-2021-ranking-and-predictions/

Progressives lack compassion and tolerance. Their self-aggrandizement is all that matters.
Re: Offseason Decisions: Who to keep, who to add, etc. [Re: SilverFox1] #610220
04/11/2020 05:32
04/11/2020 05:32
A vagina bunker
S
SilverFox1 Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
SilverFox1  Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
S
A vagina bunker
Would not be surprised if alot of owners did very little in FA for now, and waited out the market til late Feb or March, unless there's a earlier decision about allowing fans at games. Until that's decided, the MLBTR article is speculative, to say the least.

The more I read about Ozuna's challenges with defense, the more I wonder if Springer or Brantley would be better fits. Especially if those 2 require fewer years, fewer $$, and if the DH does not come back.

Joo are da muss haddfull, emo-shore, eel-tamper pusster I'ze ebber engoundered, and I'ze engoundered manny on deez bard. Jore pusts all soun' lige a nut-too-bride sebben jeer ole.

Re: Offseason Decisions: Who to keep, who to add, etc. [Re: SilverFox1] #610226
04/11/2020 12:28
04/11/2020 12:28
A vagina bunker
S
SilverFox1 Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
SilverFox1  Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
S
A vagina bunker
https://www.masnsports.com/national...everal-directions-for-rotation-help.html

Interesting article by Zuckerman.

If you've got the best hitter in baseball in your lineup, you have to make it Priority #1 to get him protection, imo. So I dont see them having the available cash (or the need) to afford a Bauer, Robbie Ray, or even Gausman. Not when 1/2 your payroll is already tied up in 3 pitchers. Maybe sign a guy like Charlie Morton on a cheap 1 year. And tell Hickey to do his magic, especially since Strasburg is coming back.

Players union is apparently livid believing that the owners are looking for any excuse to reduce player salaries in '21. Owners cant operate with a "business as usual" policy in free agency with no paying fans next year -- if Nats average 25k fans a game, and the average fan spends $50 a game, that's $101 million lost a year EASY (because the Nats ticket prices are higher than average, I'd guesstimate it's closer to $150 million, maybe more). Players may as well believe in Santa Claus if they believe the owners are not hit hard by this pandemic.

Joo are da muss haddfull, emo-shore, eel-tamper pusster I'ze ebber engoundered, and I'ze engoundered manny on deez bard. Jore pusts all soun' lige a nut-too-bride sebben jeer ole.

Re: Offseason Decisions: Who to keep, who to add, etc. [Re: SilverFox1] #610479
08/11/2020 14:34
08/11/2020 14:34
P
PowerBoater69 Offline
10 and 5 Guy
PowerBoater69  Offline
10 and 5 Guy
P
Almost no free agent market at all so far. I'm generally sympathetic with the owners based on the lost revenue due to Covid but at some point collusion has to be suspected if no one is getting signed.

Re: Offseason Decisions: Who to keep, who to add, etc. [Re: SilverFox1] #610669
12/11/2020 03:24
12/11/2020 03:24
A vagina bunker
S
SilverFox1 Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
SilverFox1  Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
S
A vagina bunker
Catcher J.T. Realmuto, outfielder George Springer and second baseman DJ LeMahieu rejected their qualifying offers on Wednesday, the deadline for players who received the $18.9 million offer to decide on it.

If the players sign with another team in free agency, their former teams will receive draft-pick compensation at the end of the first round in the 2021 draft or at the end of competitive balance round B. The placement depends on whether the new contract is worth $50 million or more and the revenue-sharing and luxury tax status of the team losing the player.

A team signing the player would give up either its third-highest draft pick, its second-highest pick and $500,000 of international signing bonus allotment, or its second- and fifth-highest selections and $1 million of international signing bonus allotment, depending on revenue-sharing and luxury tax status of the signing club.

-- espn excerpt

Re: Offseason Decisions: Who to keep, who to add, etc. [Re: SilverFox1] #610798
18/11/2020 16:10
18/11/2020 16:10
P
PowerBoater69 Offline
10 and 5 Guy
PowerBoater69  Offline
10 and 5 Guy
P
In a puzzling move the Nats signed a 27 year old reliever who has never thrown a pitch in the big leagues to a major league contract. Sam Clay was a minor league player with the Twins who expressed shock that he received a major league offer. The team is touting him as a ground ball pitcher who does not give up home runs, sounds good, but why not a minor league deal?

Re: Offseason Decisions: Who to keep, who to add, etc. [Re: SilverFox1] #610830
19/11/2020 04:49
19/11/2020 04:49
A vagina bunker
S
SilverFox1 Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
SilverFox1  Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
S
A vagina bunker
Yeah that is a head scratcher. Here's an excerpt from MLBTR:

While Major League deals for minor league free agents who have yet to make their Major League debut are admittedly rare, there’s a handful of them every winter. The Nationals, in fact, fared well in exactly that type of signing just one year ago when they inked longtime Athletics farmhand Kyle Finnegan to a Major League deal. He went on to toss 24 2/3 frames of 2.92 ERA ball out of the Washington ’pen in 2020. They’ll hope for similar success with Clay in 2021.

Because of the lack of a minor league season in 2020, Clay has just 22 2/3 innings of work at the Triple-A level under his belt. He’s pitched to a 4.37 ERA in that time but logged a much more impressive 26-to-10 K/BB ratio and a 60.6 percent ground-ball rate. Clay’s sinker has consistently generated ground-ball rates north of 55 percent, including a ridiculous 77 percent mark through 46 2/3 frames at the Double-A level in 2019.

Past scouting reports on the 6’2″, 190-pound lefty have also touted an above-average curveball, and it should be noted that because of his extreme ground-ball capabilities, he’s surrendered just six home runs in 405 1/3 minor league innings. To further emphasize the eye-popping nature of that stat, consider that Clay has faced 1814 batters in that time.

Clay was never selected to the Twins’ 40-man roster at any point in his career to date, which also means he’s never been optioned to Triple-A. As such — much like Finnegan — he still has three minor league option years remaining, so he doesn’t need to crack a spot on the Nationals’ Opening Day roster by any means. He’ll give the Nats some much-needed lefty depth in their bullpen mix, where Ben Braymer had previously stood as the only southpaw bullpen piece on the team’s 40-man roster.

Re: Offseason Decisions: Who to keep, who to add, etc. [Re: SilverFox1] #610835
19/11/2020 09:22
19/11/2020 09:22
P
PowerBoater69 Offline
10 and 5 Guy
PowerBoater69  Offline
10 and 5 Guy
P
Blake Finney posted a chart on Twitter showing that 16 out of the last twenty world series winners increased payroll the following season. Of the four teams that decreased payroll the Nats were by far the biggest drop, 12% based on the payroll during spring training, probably the drop would have been less if not for Covid if Rizzo had added talent during spring.

Re: Offseason Decisions: Who to keep, who to add, etc. [Re: SilverFox1] #611021
21/11/2020 16:04
21/11/2020 16:04
A vagina bunker
S
SilverFox1 Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
SilverFox1  Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
S
A vagina bunker
Report: Nationals Considering LeMahieu, Bryant

By Mark Polishuk | November 21, 2020 at 8:39am CDT
MLBTradeRumors.com

The Nationals are exploring their options on the infield market, as MLB Network’s Jon Paul Morosi reports (Twitter links) that Washington has interest in free agent second baseman DJ LeMahieu and Cubs third baseman Kris Bryant. While it can be assumed that the Nats are looking at both big names and smaller names, the fact that they’re open to adding higher-salaried players such as LeMahieu and Bryant gives us some hints about the team’s spending capability this offseason.

LeMahieu would be the more expensive of the two, of course, as he is projected to land a lucrative multi-year deal in free agency (MLBTR has him projected for four years and $68MM). The Nats would also have to give up a second-round draft pick and $500K in international bonus pool money to sign LeMahieu, since he rejected the Yankees’ qualifying offer.

This all being said, the Nationals haven’t shied away from making big additions in free agency in the past, and Morosi notes that the Nats also had interest in LeMahieu the last time he was a free agent back in the 2018-19 offseason. (Washington instead signed Brian Dozier to a one-year, $9MM deal to handle second base, a deal the Nats probably don’t regret considering they won the 2019 World Series.) Though players like Juan Soto and Trea Turner will continue to get expensive through arbitration, the Nationals have quite a bit of money coming off the books after 2021, so LeMahieu wouldn’t put much of an extra burden on the payroll.

Bryant would be a shorter-term add, since he is only under contract through the 2021 season before hitting free agency himself. MLBTR contributor Matt Swartz projects Bryant to earn $18.6MM in his final year of arbitration, so while the former NL MVP isn’t inexpensive, some of that salary could be covered by whatever the Nationals would send back to the Cubs in a trade. For what it’s worth, Bryant is represented by Scott Boras, whose solid working relationship with the Lerner family is well-documented; on the current Nationals roster alone, Soto, Max Scherzer, Stephen Strasburg, and Seth Romero are all Boras clients.

Chicago is reportedly open to moving just about any of its higher-priced veterans, though Bryant is something of a tricky trade candidate considering he hit only .206/.293/.351 in 147 plate appearances during an injury-plagued 2020 season. That down year will surely factor into what the Nationals or any other team would be willing to give up in a trade, yet the Cubs obviously also don’t want to sell low on a former All-Star (unless forced into such a move due to payroll constraints). Signing LeMahieu is more expensive but also carries fewer question marks, plus Washington wouldn’t have to give up any young talent in a trade to land LeMahieu.

Looking at the Nats’ roster, either LeMahieu or Bryant would help an infield that is pretty unsettled beyond Turner at shortstop. First base is wide open, Starlin Castro will play every day at either second base or third base, Carter Kieboom will look to break out after a tough rookie season, plus Luis Garcia and the re-signed Josh Harrison provide depth. LeMahieu would slot right into an everyday role, probably at second base, but Washington could move him around to see action at both first and third base depending on situations or how players like Kieboom or Garcia develop. Bryant has some similar versatility, as he would likely play mostly at third base, but could also be shifted to first base or a corner outfield spot.

Re: Offseason Decisions: Who to keep, who to add, etc. [Re: SilverFox1] #611022
21/11/2020 16:27
21/11/2020 16:27
A vagina bunker
S
SilverFox1 Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
SilverFox1  Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
S
A vagina bunker
Lots of versatility with these guys who could fill multiple voids -- Bryant's played at 3b, 1b, and RF. LeMahieu's played 1B, 2B, & 3B. Both could DH next year. Reports are the Cubs may possibly non-tender Bryant next month, so would hate to trade a good prospect for a 1 year rental like Bryant. Nats still have a window open with alot of plus veterans on this team, so if they sign LeMahieu then put Garcia & Kieboom in the minors in '21.

Yankees apparently have made re-signing LeMahieu a top priority, and he supposedly has the Mets as his other favored destination, so there's that.

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9