04/09/2020 06:57
04/09/2020 06:57
P
PowerBoater69 Offline
10 and 5 Guy
PowerBoater69  Offline
10 and 5 Guy
P
Interesting thought about Turner maybe leaving, I can't remember the Nats ever trading a homegrown star player before they walk when they hit free agency.

Re: Offseason Decisions: Who to keep, who to add, etc. [Re: SilverFox1] #608649
04/09/2020 15:46
04/09/2020 15:46
A vagina bunker
S
SilverFox1 Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
SilverFox1  Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
S
A vagina bunker
Wish I could remember where I read it. Earlier this week Doolittle talked about still throwing at 89-90 mph, and claimed he wasnt worried about it, because he can make adjustments. In the same article, Martinez was quoted as saying "Oh he has GOT to get his FB back up to 94". Interesting.

Joo are da muss haddfull, emo-shore, eel-tamper pusster I'ze ebber engoundered, and I'ze engoundered manny on deez bard. Jore pusts all soun' lige a nut-too-bride sebben jeer ole.

Re: Offseason Decisions: Who to keep, who to add, etc. [Re: SilverFox1] #608799
08/09/2020 10:16
08/09/2020 10:16
A vagina bunker
S
SilverFox1 Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
SilverFox1  Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
S
A vagina bunker
Q: Nats free agents
Looking ahead to next year after this fiasco of a season, which of the Nats free agents should they attempt to keep?

A: Thomas Boswell
Doolittle, who'll be cheap because of age, injury history.

Asdrubal Cabrera: Very versatile, good teammate, insurance policy at 1st-2d-3d-DH and he's found a lte-career home in DC. He's had a poor year. Again, a cheap but probably decent bench piece that lets you spend elsewhere.

Suzuki, for one more year with Gomes, unless you think you have a shot at signing free agent JT Realmuto. Nobody knows what the FA market will look like --salaries could be down a LOT. And which team's can afford them?

I'll mull the rest and get back to you.

— SEP 08, 2020 11:59 AM

Joo are da muss haddfull, emo-shore, eel-tamper pusster I'ze ebber engoundered, and I'ze engoundered manny on deez bard. Jore pusts all soun' lige a nut-too-bride sebben jeer ole.

Re: Offseason Decisions: Who to keep, who to add, etc. [Re: SilverFox1] #609193
21/09/2020 04:33
21/09/2020 04:33
A vagina bunker
S
SilverFox1 Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
SilverFox1  Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
S
A vagina bunker
Per Spotrac: 2019 payroll -- $172 mill. The 2021 payroll as of now -- $141 million on only 11 players. The figures do not include expiring contracts (notably Suzuki, Zimm + others), Arb or Pre-Arb contracts that are due up (the most prominent being Trea, Soto, Rainey, & Robles). And Nats are dedicating 59% of next year's payroll as of now to 3 players: Scherzer, Corbin, & Strasburg. Wow).

Team has options this offseason of up to $32.5 million on these guys: $12 mill on Sanchez, $10.5 mill on Eaton, $4 mill on Thames, and $6 mill on Kendricks. The first 3 are in real danger, and if Rizzo buys a big bat Kendrick could be in danger too, altho I love the guy and would hate seeing him go.

Re: Offseason Decisions: Who to keep, who to add, etc. [Re: SilverFox1] #609196
21/09/2020 10:34
21/09/2020 10:34
A vagina bunker
S
SilverFox1 Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
SilverFox1  Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
S
A vagina bunker
Q: Luis García
Is he the real deal, or does he need "more seasoning" in the minors, as I keep reading online? .381 average, .766 OPS in 107 at bats, and 20 years old. Love the chats. Thanks, Tom in 316 (whenever fans can return to games)

There's very little not to like about Garcia, especially his self-confidence, upbeat nature and desire to learn from older players. That plus exceptional hand-eye coordination, good hands, a SS-quality arm, years of hard work at baseball growing up and, at 20, a 6-foot-2, 211-pound frame certainly speak well for his history.

But "seasoning" is the right word --and a tough question.

He's hitting .372 with a .921 OPS vs RH pitching, but only .172 with a .345 OPS versus LHers. Of course, he did hit a game-winning 427-foot home run against a lefty --if I remember correctly-- who laid in a fastball on 0-0 in a bunt situation in the 10th inning last week.

Also, he has five errors. Not a lot. But with a prospect this good, you don't want to do anything that stunts his eventual development. You don't want him to STILL has a .336 on-base percentage --because of low walks and trouble with lefties-- when he's 25. Some players, by sticking in the majors, simply lock in their weaknesses. I always wondered if that happen to Jason Heyward. He got the big fre agent deal and is a wonderful OFer, but he never became the player than most thought he would become --a great one.

The Nats want Garcvia to get some at bats in the Dominican Republic this winter and work on some things. My guess is that Luis is going to have to improve while playing at the MLB level. He just seems too good to keep down for very long. What if he gets hurt in AAA? Then you feel like an idiot. Or develops bad hitting habits in the minors? Wouldn't you rather have him in the majors with Kevin Long (hitting coach) and Juan Soto studying every swing and helping him?

It may get crowded at 2d and 3rd base next season with Garcia, Kieboom (who's struggling) and Starlin Castro whom the Nats se as a first-rate 2d or 3rd baseman and team leader. Castro is only signed through '21, so that may work itself out by '22. But if Garcia started '21 in the minors for 100-to-200 ABs of polishing, you could rationalize it.

Tough call. I thnk he probably belongs in the majors from Day One next year. But, of course, part of that depends on his work this winter and perhaps next spring, too. Long-term, he looks like a lock --and we can se why the Nats refused to trade him --and everybody asked for him.

Now, next question, when will Carter Kieboom and Victor Robles, who should both be very good players --with Robles probably an All-Star a couple of times-- "turn into themselves?"

— SEP 21, 2020 12:38 PM

Q: Carter Kieboom
Boz, Even though there is a lot to talk about this Monday, I was wondering if Carter Kieboom has shown enough to keep him in the Nats plan for 2021. At this point he seems lost to me. Any thoughts as to whether it is too soon to give up on him? Thanks.

Nobody is going to give up on Carter Kieboom any time soon --and by that I means for YEARS. He's got "long MLB career" written all over him. He's pressing. A 162-game season would do hima world of good, rather than a sprint season where a bad start works on your nerves. He could conceivably play another half-season in AAA to get squared away. But you are looking for the first spot to bring him back up. This is a 25-plus homer third baseman. I know he doesn't look like that now. He looks lost. Here's a tip: Everybody looks exactly the same when they are lost!

I remember him turning around two Verlander fastballs for long homers to left in spring training in '19. That guy will be back. Great work ethic, etc.

One very negative note: You will have a hard time finding any young player who has ever had just ONE extra-0base hit in 119 plate appearances, no matter what the extenuating circumstance were. You can only say "try easier" so many times. Ultimately, the player has to relax and let his own talent out.

Note: It's a small sample size, just the equivalent of 27.74 full games. But Kieboom is averaging 2.42 assists per nine innings at third base. This era, with all the strikeouts, makes it hard for a 3rd baseman to get as many assists --which are an excellent indicator of range-- as players in earlier times, like the great Mike Schmidt, for example. In his career, Mike averaged 2.40 assist per 9 innings at 3rd in his career. I know, I know --Kieboom's 27.74 games may mean nothing. But he only has three errors and, if we're going to be candid about the bad stuff in his season, then we should mention what might be positive, too.

— SEP 21, 2020 12:51 PM

Q: Nats rookies evaluation
Now that we’ve seen significant playing time for Nats rookies, what is your evaluation of them? Any special performers or surprises? Seem as if Kieboom was so overhyped that hard now challenging to fairly evaluate his inconsistent performance. How do you judge his odds of living up to the perhaps unrealistic expectations?

My two cents: Stop worrying about Kieboom and focus on the free agent bats that ARE available --none of them third basemen. Look for corner OFers or 1st basemen.

Anthony Rizzo, despite hitting .212 with .718, will be a glamor free agent name. He may suck attention away from others and give the Nats an opening. The huge "get" would be catcher J.T. Realmuto (.863 OPS) but the price might be prohibitive.

OF Nick Castellanos, 28, who's only hitting .230 but with 13 homers and an .806 OPS might be a very good fit --not insanely expensive, but a very good, still young player who'd fit a need. Will Castellanos want to opt out of his current deal that has 3 more years and $46M on it, with a mutual option after that? Tough call. In a pandemic, maybe you just sit tight with the deal you have. Over the last 5 yrs, he's slashed .282/.334/.503 with 28 homers and 91 RBI per 162 games. And he's a good RFer. Not a big STAR, but a RH bat to put behind Turner and Soto. The Nats could afford him because, presumably, you would not bring back Adam Eaton who made $9.5M this year. If Castellanos is not an option --yes, he may be "wishful thinking"-- I think Eaton still has another good year left in him. (Nats have a $1.5M buy out with Adam and a $10.5M team option which, I assume, is considerably too rich after his poor year. But you can always tear up the deal you have and work out a new one. Tough call because we all saw what Eaton, still "only" 31, could do last year.

— SEP 21, 2020 1:06 PM

Re: Offseason Decisions: Who to keep, who to add, etc. [Re: SilverFox1] #609200
21/09/2020 16:40
21/09/2020 16:40
P
PowerBoater69 Offline
10 and 5 Guy
PowerBoater69  Offline
10 and 5 Guy
P
Nobody is going to give up on Carter Kieboom any time soon --and by that I means for YEARS.

Kieboom just turned 23, which is still at the starting point of a typical career arc. We should expect a big jump forward next year and then by 2022 Carter should be entering his prime years. So I agree with Boz that it is too early to start judging Kieboom but "YEARS" is an over statement.

Re: Offseason Decisions: Who to keep, who to add, etc. [Re: SilverFox1] #609203
21/09/2020 17:36
21/09/2020 17:36
P
PowerBoater69 Offline
10 and 5 Guy
PowerBoater69  Offline
10 and 5 Guy
P
That looked painful, Kieboom might be done for the season, hopefully nothing more than a bad bruise.

I've said this many times, the Nats should mandate that our batters wear every pad allowed by MLB. Too many preventable injuries.

Re: Offseason Decisions: Who to keep, who to add, etc. [Re: PowerBoater69] #609206
22/09/2020 05:07
22/09/2020 05:07
A vagina bunker
S
SilverFox1 Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
SilverFox1  Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
S
A vagina bunker
Originally Posted by PowerBoater69
Nobody is going to give up on Carter Kieboom any time soon --and by that I means for YEARS.

Kieboom just turned 23, which is still at the starting point of a typical career arc. We should expect a big jump forward next year and then by 2022 Carter should be entering his prime years. So I agree with Boz that it is too early to start judging Kieboom but "YEARS" is an over statement.

The dilemna The Nats have is what to do with the IF next season. It'll be a game of musical chairs, and either Castro, Kieboom, or Garcia are gonna get left standing. Unless you trade Castro if the return makes sense.

Re: Offseason Decisions: Who to keep, who to add, etc. [Re: SilverFox1] #609208
22/09/2020 08:09
22/09/2020 08:09
P
PowerBoater69 Offline
10 and 5 Guy
PowerBoater69  Offline
10 and 5 Guy
P
Lets hope we have an issue of one too many infielders. Take those three and see which two earn the spots next spring.

Have you seen what is going on with the draft picks? There are rumors that MLB is not going to use the standard rule for draft positions for next year. As of now the Nats would be the biggest losers in that scenario as we have fallen the most spots.

Re: Offseason Decisions: Who to keep, who to add, etc. [Re: SilverFox1] #609213
22/09/2020 13:18
22/09/2020 13:18
A vagina bunker
S
SilverFox1 Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
SilverFox1  Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
S
A vagina bunker
This is from Jeff Passan at 954am, you heard anything since then ?
:
@JeffPassan
Some news in 20 Questions: The 2021 draft order is highly likely to be based on a team's 2020 record, a source familiar with MLB's thinking told ESPN:

https://es.pn/3iSThVL

If the season ended today, top 5 would be:

1) Pittsburgh
2) Texas
3) Boston
4) Arizona
5) Washington

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3