A vagina bunker
S
SilverFox1 Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
SilverFox1  Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
S
A vagina bunker
Report: Owners Could Pursue Further Salary Reduction For Players If Season Begins Without Fans

By Steve Adams | April 16, 2020 at 3:05pm CDT
MLBTradeRumors.com

As Major League Baseball ponders various scenarios in which the 2020 season could commence in empty parks without fans in attendance, Ken Rosenthal and Evan Drellich of The Athletic write that empty-stadium games could prompt ownership to ask that the players make further concessions in terms of their 2020 salary.

The two sides already reached an agreement on service time, player salaries and a broad framework for an abbreviated draft late last month. Within that agreement, players agreed to prorated salaries that are directly proportional to the reduction of total games played.

Rosenthal and Drellich suggest, however, that the league “made it clear to the union that economic adjustments would be necessary if games were played in empty parks,” while many on the players’ side of talks believe that the already standing agreement addressed games without fan and/or games at neutral sites. Unsurprisingly, agent Scott Boras ardently pointed to the preexisting “good faith agreement” regarding empty-stadium play while implying that seeking further reductions would be in violation of said good faith.

It seems rather perplexing that the players wouldn’t have pursued precise language expressly underscoring that even neutral-site games without fans in attendance should fall under the purview of the currently agreed-upon salary reduction parameters. That agreement, after all, was unanimously ratified by all 30 owners back on March 27. At that point, the idea of televising games without fans was already widely being speculated upon and surely being discussed by the league and MLBPA. Word of the potential “Arizona” plan trickled out not two weeks after that agreement had been settled.

The owners’ claim in all of this would undoubtedly be that addition of television revenue would not be enough to cover the cost of operations in conjunction with the elimination of gate revenue. Such claims wouldn’t be able to be proven with books closed to the public, but it’s easy to see all 30 owners aligning on that front whether or not the sentiment holds true in actuality.

At this point, all parties involved are flying blind for the most part, as there’s not yet any certainty regarding when or if play will resume, where games will take place or how many games could be played. There’s also been talk of expanding the postseason format, which would create additional revenue on all sides that wouldn’t otherwise exist. Without those details set in place, fiscal specifics are impossible to glean. All of those issues will factor into further negotiations — if it is indeed determined that the existing language leaves ownership ample latitude to pursue such reductions. It’s easy to imagine a contentious set of secondary negotiations eventually being necessary once the logistics can be more clearly defined, though.

At least as pertains to the 2020 season, commissioner Rob Manfred wields the ultimate hammer, as his position gives him the right to unilaterally suspend player contracts due to the declaration of a national emergency. While one would hope that negotiations wouldn’t get to that point, the threat of such extreme action could indeed be powerful leverage against the MLBPA.

All of this comes at a time when the current collective bargaining agreement is set to expire in December 2021. Advance collective bargaining talks were already reported to be in place well before the COVID-19 pandemic emerged. Any rising tensions that stem from further back-and-forth on more immediate issues figure to impact those CBA negotiations whenever they resume in earnest.

Joo are da muss haddfull, emo-shore, eel-tamper pusster I'ze ebber engoundered, and I'ze engoundered manny on deez bard. Jore pusts all soun' lige a nut-too-bride sebben jeer ole.

Re: Possible Salary Reduction for Players [Re: SilverFox1] #604853
18/04/2020 05:09
18/04/2020 05:09
A vagina bunker
S
SilverFox1 Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
SilverFox1  Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
S
A vagina bunker
Dont wanna hear a single zillionaire ballplayer cryin the blues over this. That goes for any sport. Welcome to reality, a/holes.

Joo are da muss haddfull, emo-shore, eel-tamper pusster I'ze ebber engoundered, and I'ze engoundered manny on deez bard. Jore pusts all soun' lige a nut-too-bride sebben jeer ole.

Re: Possible Salary Reduction for Players [Re: SilverFox1] #604859
18/04/2020 14:23
18/04/2020 14:23
Macon ,Ga
M
martin Offline
10 and 5 Guy
martin  Offline
10 and 5 Guy
M
Macon ,Ga
Wouldn't be surprised if some Scott Boros type agents object to this.

Consensus is anyplace without Martin trumps Martin, even with an ignore button.
Re: Possible Salary Reduction for Players [Re: SilverFox1] #604900
22/04/2020 09:54
22/04/2020 09:54
P
PowerBoater69 Offline
10 and 5 Guy
PowerBoater69  Offline
10 and 5 Guy
P
Originally Posted by SilverFox1
Dont wanna hear a single zillionaire ballplayer cryin the blues over this. That goes for any sport. Welcome to reality, a/holes.

Right, figure out a plan to play in Fla and Arizona and get the season started. If a ballplayer with an eight figure contract doesn't want to show the teams should be able to either 1) void their contract, or 2) have player go unpaid this year and the contract extended another season. Lots of people wish they could work right now, these pampered MLB vets need to STFU and play ball.

Re: Possible Salary Reduction for Players [Re: SilverFox1] #605160
14/05/2020 06:13
14/05/2020 06:13
A vagina bunker
S
SilverFox1 Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
SilverFox1  Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
S
A vagina bunker
Tampa Bay's Blake Snell is not getting what he wants, and he wants his mommy -- ESPN.com excerpt:

"No, I gotta get my money. I'm not playing unless I get mine, OK? And that's just the way it is for me. Like, I'm sorry you guys think differently, but the risk is way the hell higher and the amount of money I'm making is way lower. Why would I think about doing that?"

Snell, who was scheduled to make $7 million in 2020, said that he "love(s) baseball to death" but that he is unwilling to accept multiple reductions of his salary.

"Bro, I'm risking my life," Snell said. "What do you mean it should not be a thing? It should 100% be a thing. If I'm gonna play, I should be getting the money I signed to be getting paid. I should not be getting half of what I'm getting paid because the season's cut in half, on top of a 33% cut of the half that's already there -- so I'm really getting, like, 25%.

"On top of of that, it's getting taxed. So, imagine how much I'm actually making to play, you know what I'm saying?"

Snell later texted the Tampa Bay Times, acknowledging that he realizes his comments on the video could be perceived as greedy.

"I mean honestly it's just scary to risk my life to get Covid-19 as well as not knowing and spreading it to the others,'' Snell texted to the Times. "I just want everyone to be healthy and get back to our normal lives cause I know I miss mine!"

The former American League Cy Young Award winner also told the Times he would be willing to skip the 2020 season and said the owners' proposal of a revenue split is "is super frustrating because we have way more risk."

Snell emphasized in the video that he is concerned about the long-term health effects of possibly contracting COVID-19, saying the damage to his body is "gonna be there forever."

"I'm just saying, it doesn't make sense for me to lose all of that money and then go play," he said. "And then be on lockdown, not around my family, not around the people I love, and getting paid way the hell less -- and then the risk of injury runs every time I step on the field."

Snell, 27, is entering the second year of a five-year, $50 million deal with the Rays.

MLB met with union officials Tuesday to begin presenting its proposal, but the discussion did not involve player compensation or other economic components, sources familiar with the meeting told ESPN's Jesse Rogers.

Re: Possible Salary Reduction for Players [Re: SilverFox1] #605161
14/05/2020 07:28
14/05/2020 07:28
P
PowerBoater69 Offline
10 and 5 Guy
PowerBoater69  Offline
10 and 5 Guy
P
I'm already angry enough at the news, this stuff freaking triggers me, a ballplayer who thinks that $2 million isn't enough for him to play 3-4 months of baseball. What a bunch of jerks this whole class of athletes have become. MLB is getting wrecked by the loss of ticket and TV revenue and he wants his whole $7 million. Then he has the nerve to complain about paying taxes.

Thousands and thousands of people who make less than $100K per year make their money either directly or indirectly from MLB, just get out there and play the games, or don't and forfeit your salaries while your ex-teammates play.

Re: Possible Salary Reduction for Players [Re: SilverFox1] #605163
14/05/2020 08:26
14/05/2020 08:26
A vagina bunker
S
SilverFox1 Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
SilverFox1  Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
S
A vagina bunker
Dude is trying to make a "I'm risking my life" argument but he falls flat on his face. He makes me no sense. "I'm risking my life sure, but I'll risk my life if you pay me my $7 million, not $2 million". That's as stupid as it gets. I don't think the Covid thing is the REAL issue with him at all. He's just pouting because he aint collecting on his $7 million.

Than he says "I just want everyone to be healthy and get back to our normal lives". Clearly, that aint gonna happen for a LONG time. Dude can keep dreamin.

It's a free country. He wants to sulk and doesn't wanna play? Fine. Let him get the hell outta the way for someone who wants to play.

This is gonna be the story the national media is salivating about once the pro seasons start. Pick your professional sport. As soon as ONE athlete gets the Covid, the national media will blow it up big time and players will start peeing their pants. And they'll pee too even if it's a clubhouse attendant, a players' parking lot attendant, or a front office employee that catches Covid.

Re: Possible Salary Reduction for Players [Re: SilverFox1] #605164
14/05/2020 09:26
14/05/2020 09:26
A vagina bunker
S
SilverFox1 Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
SilverFox1  Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
S
A vagina bunker
Latest On MLB’s Proposal For Return To Play

By Steve Adams | May 14, 2020 at 11:14am CDT
MLBTradeRumors.com

Since the league shutdown in mid-March, the looming question hanging over Major League Baseball has been one of how a positive test or tests among players and coaches would be handled. Even earlier this week, as the league presented the the Players Association with a proposal to return to play, that aspect remained a critical unknown. This morning, Jared Diamond and Louise Radnofsky of the Wall Street Journal shed some light on those matters, reporting that MLB’s proposal would see players tested multiple times per week.

Major League Baseball, per the WSJ report, is confident in its ability to gain access to tens of thousands of test kits without depleting the supply available to essential frontline workers. The specifics of that arrangement aren’t clear, and detractors will surely argue that multiple tests per week for athletes, coaches, training staff and umpires could be better allocated. Granted, testing capacity is on the rise and could look markedly different by the time play resumes. Diamond and Radnofsky also write that the league will focus on acquiring primarily 24-hour tests as opposed to more immediate, rapid-result tests.

That, of course, comes with its own potential for pitfalls; an asymptomatic player, coach or umpire who tests positive would still have been in contact with others for a full day before learning of the diagnosis under that scenario. Paired with going a day or multiple days between tests, it’s not hard to envision infections spreading quickly.

Notably, Diamond and Radnofsky underline that a positive test would not result in a stoppage of play under the current proposal. Any person or persons who test positive would be immediately quarantined, while those who’d been in contact will be more closely monitored. Specifics on the protocol for contact tracing and increased or more aggressive testing in the wake of a positive test remain unknown.

With all that in mind, it’s not particularly surprising to see SNY’s Andy Martino cite an unnamed agent who states that there’s “no question” some players will opt not to play in 2020. He adds that no specific proposals on how exemptions for at-risk players would be handled — a debate that carries its own set of intricacies regarding service time and salary.

Some players with heightened risk due to underlying medical conditions have recently voiced a willingness to play, but others have been more outspoken about their concern. There are also many players with underlying conditions that aren’t public knowledge, to say nothing of family members and loved ones who could be at greater risk. Concerns figure to be prominent among coaching staffs as well, where numerous personnel are in their 60s and 70s — some with more troubling medical concerns.

Of course, there’s no situation where play resumes and the risk is wholly eliminated. The goal is to dramatically reduce the risk, and regular testing coupled with temperature checks and other regulations will work toward that end. In the Korea Baseball Organization, there’s been a ban on spitting, high fives and handshakes. Similar restrictions will likely be put in place in MLB, and although strictly enforcing them will be difficult, the players know it’s in their best interest to work to curtail those habits. USA Today’s Bob Nightengale writes that players and personnel will be discouraged from using rideshare services such as Uber and Lyft, and they’ll also be advised against signing autographs and taking pictures with fans at their hotels.

MLB is also wary of the potential for another notable wave of virus cases in the fall and winter, Nightengale adds, which is why the league ultimately scrapped a plan that would’ve seen postseason play push into December. The aim now is for an 82-game season with an expanded, 14-team postseason format that can be concluded in early November.

The health component is the most important piece of negotiations between the league and the players union — although it’s certainly not the only one. The two sides still need to reach some kind of agreement on salary, and players appear loath to accept a revenue sharing system that would represent even greater reductions than the prorated salaries to which they already agreed back in March.

Re: Possible Salary Reduction for Players [Re: SilverFox1] #605168
14/05/2020 19:08
14/05/2020 19:08
T
TBP Offline
10 and 5 Guy
TBP  Offline
10 and 5 Guy
T
I wonder if the players might wind up making more if they took the revenue sharing, not that they will.

If they don't want to play, I'm sure there is some younger player who will take the opportunity.

Progressives lack compassion and tolerance. Their self-aggrandizement is all that matters.
Re: Possible Salary Reduction for Players [Re: SilverFox1] #605175
15/05/2020 04:27
15/05/2020 04:27
A vagina bunker
S
SilverFox1 Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
SilverFox1  Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
S
A vagina bunker
I dont agree with Nolan Arenado's comments yesterday, but at least the guy tried to frame them in a way without sounding so bigheaded and narcisstic

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15