26/10/2019 16:20
26/10/2019 16:20
T
TBP Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
TBP  Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
T
The Nationals have been more old-school than most teams, and it's a key to their success. They have a unique way of melding analytics with old-school scouting.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/10/the-nationals-bottom-up-analytics-strategy.html

The Nationals are well known as one of MLB’s organizations still reliant on an old-school, if not yet antiquated scouting infrastructure. Much of this stems from GM Mike Rizzo, a former scout and scouting director himself. They are not, of course, blind to analytics, and as is the case with all front office these days, the way they blend traditional scouting with the use of analytics is what makes the footprint of their front office particular.

Their first-ever analyst hire, in fact, now serves as an assistant general manager. Sam Mondry-Cohen, a former bat boy, is a key figure in deploying the Nats “bottom-up” strategy to analytics, per Tyler Kepner of the New York Times. Mondry-Cohen and Rizzo stress the importance of clubhouse temperament to the utilization of their data, letting their players dictate to a large degree where and how data is utilized. The Nats organizational philosophy is more transparent than ever this season with mood-manager extraordinaire Davey Martinez helming a rambunctious veteran clubhouse that credits their on-field success to baby sharks, dugout dances, and group hugs.

The Nationals also credit themselves for mixing analytics with instinct in deploying a quick-strike offseason strategy that netted key players like Patrick Corbin, Yan Gomes, Brian Dozier and Kurt Suzuki last offseason. Bottomless sieves of data and a competitive landscape rich with intelligent front offices can make decision-making a slog, but the Nationals try not to dwell when instinct can kick-in. It’s served them well, as the Nationals have eight straight winning seasons and a new NL pennant banner to hang.

Once the World Series is finished, it will be interesting to see how this front office values their own free agents. The group includes obvious notables like Stephen Strasburg and Anthony Rendon, but surprise elite contributors like Howie Kendrick and Daniel Hudson also enter the free market, as does the captain of their folk hero superteam: Gerardo Parra.

Go Nats!

Progressives lack compassion and tolerance. Their self-aggrandizement is all that matters.
Re: The Nationals’ “Bottom-Up” Analytics Strategy [Re: TBP] #602958
28/10/2019 05:33
28/10/2019 05:33
Macon ,Ga
M
martin Offline
10 and 5 Guy
martin  Offline
10 and 5 Guy
M
Macon ,Ga
Terrible to see the fans there boo the president and some yelled "lock him up".... just shameful and embarrassing for the team and their players...... was pulling for them to win the WS.... now I'm not so sure that I should pull for them....This is what fake news causes..... Here in Macon, the local anchors have to read the BS that the networks provide. they just roll their eyes while reading it or watching a BS network report....

Consensus is anyplace without Martin trumps Martin, even with an ignore button.
Re: The Nationals’ “Bottom-Up” Analytics Strategy [Re: TBP] #602996
29/10/2019 12:57
29/10/2019 12:57
T
TBP Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
TBP  Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
T
As opposed to the team that tried to destroy a female reporter's career for exposing their Assistant General manager?

Progressives lack compassion and tolerance. Their self-aggrandizement is all that matters.
Re: The Nationals’ “Bottom-Up” Analytics Strategy [Re: martin] #604668
07/04/2020 05:47
07/04/2020 05:47
A vagina bunker
S
SilverFox1 Online shocked
10 and 5 Guy
SilverFox1  Online Shocked
10 and 5 Guy
S
A vagina bunker
Originally Posted by martin
Terrible to see the fans there boo the president and some yelled "lock him up".... just shameful and embarrassing for the team and their players...

Couldn't stand Bill Clinton -- guy's one of the most shameful embarrassments and disgraces to the country during my lifetime. But nothing would motivate me to get up in my seat and lose my mind if I saw him at a game. Most people who pull that sh!t just want to show off because they love the sound of their own voice.

The first game after the 34 year delay in 2005 at RFK was great. Bush seemed to get a warm response as I recall.

Joo are da muss haddfull, emo-shore, eel-tamper pusster I'ze ebber engoundered, and I'ze engoundered manny on deez bard. Jore pusts all soun' lige a nut-too-bride sebben jeer ole.

Re: The Nationals’ “Bottom-Up” Analytics Strategy [Re: TBP] #604694
09/04/2020 18:26
09/04/2020 18:26
P
PowerBoater69 Online content
10 and 5 Guy
PowerBoater69  Online Content
10 and 5 Guy
P
Originally Posted by TBP
The Nationals have been more old-school than most teams, and it's a key to their success. They have a unique way of melding analytics with old-school scouting.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/10/the-nationals-bottom-up-analytics-strategy.html

The Nationals are well known as one of MLB’s organizations still reliant on an old-school, if not yet antiquated scouting infrastructure. Much of this stems from GM Mike Rizzo, a former scout and scouting director himself. They are not, of course, blind to analytics, and as is the case with all front office these days, the way they blend traditional scouting with the use of analytics is what makes the footprint of their front office particular.

Their first-ever analyst hire, in fact, now serves as an assistant general manager. Sam Mondry-Cohen, a former bat boy, is a key figure in deploying the Nats “bottom-up” strategy to analytics, per Tyler Kepner of the New York Times. Mondry-Cohen and Rizzo stress the importance of clubhouse temperament to the utilization of their data, letting their players dictate to a large degree where and how data is utilized. The Nats organizational philosophy is more transparent than ever this season with mood-manager extraordinaire Davey Martinez helming a rambunctious veteran clubhouse that credits their on-field success to baby sharks, dugout dances, and group hugs.

The Nationals also credit themselves for mixing analytics with instinct in deploying a quick-strike offseason strategy that netted key players like Patrick Corbin, Yan Gomes, Brian Dozier and Kurt Suzuki last offseason. Bottomless sieves of data and a competitive landscape rich with intelligent front offices can make decision-making a slog, but the Nationals try not to dwell when instinct can kick-in. It’s served them well, as the Nationals have eight straight winning seasons and a new NL pennant banner to hang.

Once the World Series is finished, it will be interesting to see how this front office values their own free agents. The group includes obvious notables like Stephen Strasburg and Anthony Rendon, but surprise elite contributors like Howie Kendrick and Daniel Hudson also enter the free market, as does the captain of their folk hero superteam: Gerardo Parra.

Go Nats!

What all that talk about scouting leaves out is that the Nats have been at the very top of the league in payroll for the past few seasons. They bought that World Series with the big money contracts for their starting pitching. Not that I'm complaining, that's all I ever asked for since they moved to town and tried to build slow via the draft. They only really contended when they started spending big.

Re: The Nationals’ “Bottom-Up” Analytics Strategy [Re: TBP] #604697
09/04/2020 21:01
09/04/2020 21:01
T
TBP Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
TBP  Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
T
You can spend a lot of money and not contend. Ask any Yankee fan. The scouting enabled them to use their resources correctly.

And now the young nucleus of the next great Nationals team is coming together.

Re: The Nationals’ “Bottom-Up” Analytics Strategy [Re: TBP] #604710
10/04/2020 05:13
10/04/2020 05:13
P
PowerBoater69 Online content
10 and 5 Guy
PowerBoater69  Online Content
10 and 5 Guy
P
Originally Posted by TBP
You can spend a lot of money and not contend. Ask any Yankee fan. The scouting enabled them to use their resources correctly.

And now the young nucleus of the next great Nationals team is coming together.

No doubt, no disagreement here, spending big money is no guarantee. However, you don't contend year after year without spending, and it's hard to win unless you are regularly in the post season. More than drafting or trades, Rizzo's great talent is making eight and nine figure offers that have not backfired.

Re: The Nationals’ “Bottom-Up” Analytics Strategy [Re: TBP] #604713
10/04/2020 07:47
10/04/2020 07:47
A vagina bunker
S
SilverFox1 Online shocked
10 and 5 Guy
SilverFox1  Online Shocked
10 and 5 Guy
S
A vagina bunker
Bring up to Yankees fans that their teams have huge budgetary advantages over other teams and you usually hear this lame ass line.

Originally Posted by TBP
You can spend a lot of money and not contend.

And Brad Pitt can go out every nite hitting the bars and maybe not get laid once in awhile.

Joo are da muss haddfull, emo-shore, eel-tamper pusster I'ze ebber engoundered, and I'ze engoundered manny on deez bard. Jore pusts all soun' lige a nut-too-bride sebben jeer ole.