Macon ,Ga
M
martin Online content OP
10 and 5 Guy
martin  Online Content OP
10 and 5 Guy
M
Macon ,Ga
we have a local baseball team in macon called the macon bacon.Last Monday night they brought in macon native and former MLB player, John, Blue moon odom to speak to their season ticket holders.... I;m not a season ticket holder but a friend that is invited me to go with him,,,Gosh what a treat!... He came over to all tables before it started so I got to talk to him for about 5 minutes. he said that current players are making too much money, that they aren't worth what they are being paid. he worked at Keibler cookie company here in macon during the offseasons when he played. He said that reggie Jackson was always telling them (the A's team) how great he was...Odom said that he was the only one on the team that could do anything with reggie.He said reggie respected him...

yaz was his toughest player to get out, the Red sox was his toughest team.

Consensus is anyplace without Martin trumps Martin, even with an ignore button.
Re: Blue moon odom [Re: martin] #599287
21/10/2018 12:38
21/10/2018 12:38
Macon ,Ga
M
martin Online content OP
10 and 5 Guy
10 and 5 Guy
M
Macon ,Ga
I got a call when I was writing this, and I never finished this post about odom. He said that in middle school he got his nickname, which he hated at the time. A bully told him one day at school that he was going to give him a nickname. He looked at him and said your face is round, i'm going to call you moon face. the next day he said, "i'm changing your nickname." Couldn't call him black moon or white moon so the bully came up with blue moon.....He hated it but the bully was too big for him to do anything about it. We had segregation in schools in those days and blue moon decided that he wanted to play high school ball, his record ended up being 44-2 with 18 no hitters. No draft in those days so he could've signed with the highest bidder.......he wanted to play for the SF Giants but they only offered him $50k to sign. he had made up his mind that he wanted $75K.....charlie Findley, who owned the KC A's came to Macon himself and asked him how much he wanted to sign. He said $75K and Findley paid it quickly. Findley then told a local TV station that he would've paid up to $100K to get odom.....

He was the only black player on his first minor league team here in the south. They were coming through Columbus Ga headed to play here in Macon.The team bus stopped at a diner outside of Columbus,they told them inside that the team could eat there but that Odom had to go around back to get served. Odom stood up and said to the team, " y'all can go ahead and eat here, but i'm going back to the bus and everyone that eats here is gonna have to fight me when they get back to the bus....tears came into his eyes as he told us that the whole team got up and went back to the bus and nobody ate there.

he was hoping that the blue moon nickname would not follow him into pro baseball. In his first at bat the announcer announced him ...."Now batting john BLUE MOON" ODOM...... He said he stopped half way between the on deck circle and the plate and just glared at the announcer.after that though he couldn't stop it. he learned to like it because the name was unique and people remembered him better because of it....

One day in 2006 he was back in Macon doing an appearance when a lady walked up to him and told him that she was the bully's daughter.He asked her how her dad was doing and she said ,"fine" he demanded right there that she give him her dad's phone number, she didn't want to do it but he kept on insisting until she finally gave him the number. he had not talked to the bully since middle school.He calls the guy up, the guy says, "WHO IS THIS?" he told him, "This is Blue moon odom" he said there was a silence on the other end, said he thought the bully thought he was about about to curse him out. Instead he thanked the bully telling him that the name had helped him become more famous than he could've with just his talent... He told the guy that he had repeated his name over and over throughout the years when people ask him about how he got the name. Hasn't talked to him nut that one time though...

Re: Blue moon odom [Re: martin] #599292
22/10/2018 13:17
22/10/2018 13:17
Macon ,Ga
M
martin Online content OP
10 and 5 Guy
10 and 5 Guy
M
Macon ,Ga
Last post on this....Blue moon was a very good hitter, he hit 12 homers,including 5 in one year...he hated the DH because he loved hitting, got some pinch hitting appearances after the DH......He played in all star games in '68 and '69. Struck out three future HOF players in a row in '68. mays and McCovey. McCovey told him after that game that he was going to get him next time and in the '69 game the next year, McCovey homered off of him.he said that he and McCovey still laugh about this to this day...

Thought he was safe in a world series game and that Johnny bench tagged him late. He wished that they had had instant replay in those days. said he saw bench at a golf tournament earlier this year and Bench still claims that he was out....He was a big fan of starting pitchers throwing more pitches.Thinks pitches today are being babied by being held to around 100 pitches.He loved Gene Tenace, Once in a ST training game another catcher caught and Blue Moon got shelled. Later during the regular season the manager put another catcher in the starting lineup. e went and found the manager and demanded that Tenace catch him. Manager told him that tenace needed a day off, but Moon insisted and told the manager that they would lose if Tenace did not catch him. Manager changed the limeup and had Tenace catch and they won....

One year he had 9 wins near the end of the year.Three times he left the game late with a 1 run lead and all three times a reliever let the lead get away. He was frustrated because he wanted that 10th win. Next time out he got to the 9th inning with a 1-0 lead. got the first out and then two runners got on base. rollie Fingers had been warming up. manager came out and said, "moon give me the ball" He told the manager that he was going to finish the game and this time if he lost it would be his fault.manager finally went back to the dugout. moon got the next batter to hit into a game ending double play.... and won his 10th game....

paul runge was his favorite umpire because he told the hitters that they need to swing the bats.He was a pitchers umpire.He said once he threw a perfect strike and runge called it a ball. moon threw up his hands and runge took off his mask and came out from behind the plate.Runge yelled at him, "do you have a problem with the way that i'm calling your pitches?" He was stunned and was embarrassed. He apologized to Runge and the game went on....

He ended his career with Cleveland and then Atlanta.... said he knew that he was done and retired.....real nice to be able to talk with a former player like that.....I enjoyed it, he lives in California and has for years. He told me that he didn't miss Macon but only his family that still live here. He said ,"it's too dangerous here now, too many people getting killed here, too much crime." He was really down to earth and posed for pictures with everyone that wanted one. He has mild parkinsons and he doesn't sign many autographs anymore because his hands shake, but he signed an old baseball card for my friend......