Topic Options
#580841 - 06/09/17 04:17 PM Can Harper be the Yankees? Millennial Messiah?
TBP Offline
10 and 5 Guy

Thom Loverro is convinced that when Bryce becomes a free agent, he's out of here -- probably to the Yankees.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jun/8/bryce-harper-contract-rumors-continue-chase-him/

Quote:
Gammons has since said his comments were misconstrued, and that if he had to guess, he would pick the New York Yankees as Harper?s next team.

Boy, this Harper contract story may wind up being more fun than the Kirk Cousins contract chronicles. We may not have championships in this town, but no one tops us when it comes to player contract controversies.

The Yankees remain a good guess. Plus, no one seems to be guessing that Harper stays here in Washington.
From the book, ?The Last Natural,? about Harper?s decision to leave high school two years early, take his GED exam and, at the age of 16, play for the College of Southern Nevada, a junior college with a top baseball program:

The pinstripes have been bleeding money of late at Yankee Stadium. They may need Harper.

Tickets and suite revenues at the ballpark have fallen by $166 million ? a 42 percent loss ? since the end of 2009, the year the new Yankee Stadium opened and the season when the last World Series championship for the franchise, according to the New York Times. And even with the first-place Aaron Judge Yankees this year, attendance is down from last season, when New York was a fourth-place team, by nearly 1,000 fans per game .

Reportedly, the Yankees are courting millennials to stop the bleeding.

Just consider Bryce Harper the Millennial Messiah.

First of all, I don't think his assessment of what's happening in The Bronx is correct. Their ratings on YES are up 50 percent over this time lat year. Their fan base has embraced the "rebuild." And they have the #1 or #2 ranked farm system in all of baseball, depending on who you ask. (The other one in the top 2 is the Braves, which is not great news for the Nationals.)

I will say it -- I think Bryce is staying. Remember, the Strasburg deal came out of nowhere. The Lerners are so cheap that they spend money.

The Nats have a very good working relationship with Boras and his clients -- unlike other clubs.

I think this is where Bryce wants to be. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he leaves money on the table to stay here.

#580964 - 06/10/17 12:00 PM Re: Can Harper be the Yankees? Millennial Messiah? [Re: TBP]
mikezpen Offline
10 and 5 Guy

Loc: Hillary's Vast Right-Wing Cons...
If they sign him, they probably won't sign Machado too.That's something to consider.

Mark Steyn

#581283 - 06/14/17 03:17 PM Re: Can Harper be the Yankees? Millennial Messiah? [Re: mikezpen]
TBP Offline
10 and 5 Guy

I think the Yankees are more likely to go after Machado than Harper.

#584315 - Yesterday at 03:13 PM Re: Can Harper be the Yankees? Millennial Messiah? [Re: TBP]
Washington Senator Offline
10 and 5 Guy

Loc: 1500 South Capitol
Baltimore can't afford Machado.

Washington can afford Harper. It's entirely up to them.