M
mlbbirdfan Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
mlbbirdfan  Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
M
Central PA
This is a good time to evaluate.

Houston is clearly the best team in the American League at this time. I do not expect them to fold. They have everything: hitting, pitching, bullpen, defense.

The American League East has the best record, and arguably is the best division in baseball top to bottom. Therefore, the Orioles schedule is brutal, compared to some of the other contenders for wildcard spots. We could still win the division, or finish out of the playoffs. Wide open.

We are on Pace for 87 wins. Typically that is not enough to make the playoffs. I expect other teams to improve at the trade deadline. Should the Orioles trade for a starting pitcher, and what do we have to offer other than Kim or Mancini, or Chance Sisco?

Individual performances vary. Bundy has been our best pitcher by far. I expect Gausman to have a big four months. Tillman is uncertain, could emerge or collapse. Miley is a serviceable number four. Asher seems like a reasonable bet to hold the number five slot, and could be a very important piece either in a trade or in a holding pattern.

The bullpen has held up remarkably well, given the absence of the top closer in baseball for almost the entire season. Credit the genius of Showalter on that front.

If Castillo continues with injury problems, I think we will call Sisco to the majors this year. Thank goodness for Caleb Joseph's resurgence.

Hardy represents a major ?. Because he can't hit at all and he has lost another half step in the field. He makes all the plays, but it keeps getting closer and closer to the end for him. If we had an infielder somewhere in the system ...

Mancini should play every day. Let's find out if he can hit all kinds of pitching. We're close to that point now. Put him in the lineup and forget about it.

Thoughts?

"Rising to the occasion!!"
Re: 1/3 of our season is complete [Re: mlbbirdfan] #580463
04/06/2017 09:48
04/06/2017 09:48
C
carolina Offline
10 and 5 Guy
carolina  Offline
10 and 5 Guy
C
Sisco is struggling with the bat at Norfolk, striking out too much and showing little power. His defense is not highly rated either. I wouldn't be surprised if Austin Wynns passes him on the depth chart. He's considered excellent defensively and is hitting well at Bowie.

If Asher continues to impress, release Ubaldo.

Mullins has ben activated from the dl. If you can get something decent for Kim, I would at least consider trading him and bringing Mullins up in his place. Much faster and much better on defense and he looks promising as a hitter.

Last edited by carolina; 04/06/2017 10:03.

Re: 1/3 of our season is complete [Re: carolina] #580470
04/06/2017 11:09
04/06/2017 11:09
Hillary's Vast Right-Wing Cons...
M
mikezpen Offline
10 and 5 Guy
mikezpen  Offline
10 and 5 Guy
M
Hillary's Vast Right-Wing Cons...
I said before that I don't think they have enough to make the playoffs and continue to feel that way.

First of all, I'm inclined to leave Mullins and Sisco down where they are so they can develop, particularly if we stay in the hunt.

Hitting is way too erratic and 2nd from the bottom of AL in OBA.Hardy's a drag but I don't see for the life of me that there is anything that much better in the organization.

You mite have 5 starters now w/Asher replacing Ubaldo, but they are pretty shaky.Bullpen could use another good arm till Britton returns. Wright and Tanner Scott are the only bets and both are outside shots at best.I just don't think the Orioles have enough to go that far.

I absolutely do NOT think they s/trade their good young talent for some stopgap starting pitcher because there are too many other holes to fill. And who's to say that import will be that much of a help anyway?

I do think that Kim plus a B-grade minors prospect could get you a minor league short reliever prospect which w/fill one of our needs. Make that trade. He would help us now and for the future.Plus, they aren't going to re-sign Kim anyway nor will they play him that much so...

Trade Mancini for pitching? Our SP is flawed to be sure. But I would NOT trade him for a "veteran number 3 starter innings eater" type.ABSOLUTELY NOT! But if someone offered a primo starting pitching prospect who'se ready to come up, I'd consider it.There is NOTHING pitching-wise in the Orioles' minors that w/b ready for the foreseeable future.

The improvement of Caleb Joseph and the depth in the minors might make Wellington Castillo expendable. If he can stay healthy he w/b an attractive item come July. A good-hitting good defensive catcher...and we'd be selling high if he keeps hitting like that.Say, a package of he and Kim..what mite THAT bring?

Last edited by mikezpen; 04/06/2017 11:11.

MAKE THE ORIOLES GREAT AGAIN.