Central PA
M
mlbbirdfan Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
mlbbirdfan  Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
M
Central PA
and, it IS a small sample size. your point is fair: the number is not up. media attention must be, though. and social media attention.

the same social media that has Trump and Sanders trending, while other candidates are going to win the nominations.

social media is a distraction from reality, sometimes

"Rising to the occasion!!"
Re: "Black Lives Matter" [Re: mlbbirdfan] #520229
03/09/2015 14:41
03/09/2015 14:41
Utopia Parkway
Webley Webster Offline
10 and 5 Guy
Webley Webster  Offline
10 and 5 Guy
Utopia Parkway
[/URL]

"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their hearts' desire at last, and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and narcissistic moron. " --H.L. Mencken
Re: "Black Lives Matter" [Re: Webley Webster] #520353
04/09/2015 18:39
04/09/2015 18:39
Central PA
M
mlbbirdfan Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
mlbbirdfan  Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
M
Central PA
WHO DO YOU THINK SAID THIS???

"The idea that disrupting and protesting Bernie Sanders speeches will change what is wrong in America is lunacy. The "BlackLivesMatter" movement is focused on the wrong targets, to the detriment of blacks who would like to see real change and to the benefit of its powerful white liberal funders using the attacks on Sanders for political purposes that mean nothing for the problems that face our community."

"The notion that some lives might matter less than others is meant to enrage. That anger is distracting us from what matters most. We're right to be angry, but we have to stay smart."

"Of course, the protesters are right that racial policing issues exist and some rotten policemen took actions that killed innocent people. Those actions were inexcusable and they should be prosecuted to deter such acts in the future."

"But unjust treatment from police did not fill our inner cities with people who face growing hopelessness. Young men and women can't find jobs. Parents don't have the skills to compete in a modern job market. Far too many families are torn and tattered by self-inflicted wounds. Violence often walks alongside people who have given up hope."

- 30 -

Re: "Black Lives Matter" [Re: mlbbirdfan] #520386
04/09/2015 23:14
04/09/2015 23:14
Maryland, USA
L
Lee Offline
10 and 5 Guy
Lee  Offline
10 and 5 Guy
L
Maryland, USA
Originally Posted By: mlbbirdfan
WHO DO YOU THINK SAID THIS???

"The idea that disrupting and protesting Bernie Sanders speeches will change what is wrong in America is lunacy. The "BlackLivesMatter" movement is focused on the wrong targets, to the detriment of blacks who would like to see real change and to the benefit of its powerful white liberal funders using the attacks on Sanders for political purposes that mean nothing for the problems that face our community."

"The notion that some lives might matter less than others is meant to enrage. That anger is distracting us from what matters most. We're right to be angry, but we have to stay smart."

"Of course, the protesters are right that racial policing issues exist and some rotten policemen took actions that killed innocent people. Those actions were inexcusable and they should be prosecuted to deter such acts in the future."

"But unjust treatment from police did not fill our inner cities with people who face growing hopelessness. Young men and women can't find jobs. Parents don't have the skills to compete in a modern job market. Far too many families are torn and tattered by self-inflicted wounds. Violence often walks alongside people who have given up hope."

- 30 -

It was Ben Carson. I had to Google it to be sure, but that was my first reaction. President Obama has made similar points many times, but of course none of the righties who are now singing Ben Carson's praises would give him credit for it.

And there is much of what he said that I agree with. My wife and I contributed several times to the charity that he set up for inner city kids -- about which I've heard nothing recently since he started getting involved in politics. He's done a lot of admirable things, and has in most ways lived an admirable life.

But that emphatically doesn't qualify him to be President. And I will also say that if you go to the end of the op-ed piece from which you quoted those comments, he says the following:

Quote:
We should have a talk with the Democratic Party. Let's tell them, we don?t want to be clothed, fed and housed. We want honor and dignity.

We don't want a plan to give us public housing in nice neighborhoods. We want an end to excuses for schools that leave us without the means to buy our own houses where we choose to live. We want the skills needed to compete, not a consolation prize of Section 8, Food Stamps and a lifetime of government paperwork.

My comment is that if you've ever studied psychology, and Maslow's hierarchy of needs, those things are very easy to say if it's been decades since you've had any problem being clothed and housed, when you've had any problem getting enough to eat, and when you're a wealthy neurosurgeon with a mansion in the suburbs and a vacation home on the Amalfi Coast in Italy. Things might seem very different if you were living in housing where your kids were being lead poisoned, you didn't have the money to move anywhere else, and you couldn't provide your family with a decent diet.

I saw a video of a Ben Carson speech to some conservative group where he described his career path, and it destroyed every illusion I had about him being some idealist (although, to be charitable to him, perhaps he was simply lying to them to give them what he figured they wanted to hear -- although that doesn't make him any different from the crassest politician.)

He told them that as a young man, when he decided he wanted to be a physician, he wanted to be a medical missionary physician, providing medical services to people who otherwise had no medical services at all. I've known people who have taken that route, and I admire them greatly. But then he said, "But then I decided I wanted to be rich, so I decided to become a neurosurgeon." (Which was met with much laughter, including from him.) "And then I decided to become a pediatric neurosurgeon, because kids don't wait to get better until they get their settlement check." (Which was met with more laughter, including from him.)

That video was chilling, and it showed me that this man I had admired so much, and to whose charity I had donated significant money, was pretty much a fraud. It's one thing to say that you weren't willing to be a medical missionary because you weren't able to persuade yourself to live a life of poverty, and to act like you feel at least a little bit guilty about that decision. It's another thing entirely to essentially BRAG that you wanted to be rich, so you rejected that youthful ambition.

And I also think it's impossible for anybody who doesn't simply shut their mind off from facts which might challenge their world view to get a medial school education, and be a faculty member of one of the top medical schools in the United States, and consider the creation stories in Genesis to be anything more than a myth, which may well convey some deep truths, but which emphatically do NOT contradict the scientific evidence for evolution. I think the very LAST thing we need is a President who simply closes his mind to facts he (or she) doesn't want to hear.

"The election is tomorrow, if Obama wins it'll be the last election this country ever has." martin, 11/5/2012

Re: "Black Lives Matter" [Re: mlbbirdfan] #520387
04/09/2015 23:21
04/09/2015 23:21
Hillary's Vast Right-Wing Cons...
M
mikezpen Online content
10 and 5 Guy
mikezpen  Online Content
10 and 5 Guy
M
Neither of those reflects reality, WW."Only Some Black Live Matter" is more like it.

Don't know who wrote it. Far too intelligently written for MLM to have done it, that's doe sure.

Last edited by mikezpen; 04/09/2015 23:25.

Joe Biden has spent his entire life trying to succeed in presidential politics,and now he has. Too bad he’s not there to enjoy it.
Re: "Black Lives Matter" [Re: mikezpen] #520395
05/09/2015 02:22
05/09/2015 02:22
Central PA
M
mlbbirdfan Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
mlbbirdfan  Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
M
Central PA
Lee, You figured out the quotes. You've donated to a worthwhile charity (you give to others at least as worthy, I realize). You've given great thought to the issues Carson addresses.

But I'm surprised and disappointed at:

1. Your assumptions, and;

2. Your conclusions.

I'm going back to bed. My current situation dictates my sleep pattern. More later.

Re: "Black Lives Matter" [Re: mlbbirdfan] #520397
05/09/2015 02:27
05/09/2015 02:27
Central PA
M
mlbbirdfan Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
mlbbirdfan  Offline OP
10 and 5 Guy
M
Central PA
Mikez, who is MLM?

Re: "Black Lives Matter" [Re: mlbbirdfan] #520399
05/09/2015 03:47
05/09/2015 03:47
Harrisburg PA.
B
BaseBawl Offline
10 and 5 Guy
BaseBawl  Offline
10 and 5 Guy
B
Harrisburg PA.
Mike Lives Matter.

The Mike Pence traveling petri dish.
Re: "Black Lives Matter" [Re: BaseBawl] #520401
05/09/2015 06:02
05/09/2015 06:02
M
mikezpen Online content
10 and 5 Guy
mikezpen  Online Content
10 and 5 Guy
M
BLM-Black Lives matter...or better yet, SBLM-Some Black Lives Matter

Joe Biden has spent his entire life trying to succeed in presidential politics,and now he has. Too bad he’s not there to enjoy it.
Re: "Black Lives Matter" [Re: mikezpen] #520408
05/09/2015 07:10
05/09/2015 07:10
In California
D
DB 5 Offline
10 and 5 Guy
DB 5  Offline
10 and 5 Guy
D
In California
So Mike, have you jumped from the Christie bandwagon to the Carson bandwagon?
My understanding about him was that he used the same government programs he decries to get where he is today.

Trumpuppet cares only about increasing his wealth any way possible.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6