Page 3 of 234 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 233 234 >
Topic Options
#261840 - 02/26/10 10:38 PM Re: OT: Manny All Set In Cleeflen! [Re: hondo9]
Brue Two Offline
10 and 5 Guy

Loc: James Creek Marina
Originally Posted By: hondo9
Originally Posted By: 08Cubs

Today we reebue da techneeg eenfolfed een skretchin jore behine. Leeson carefolly, ebbryone. Da firss ting joo do ees exten jore feenger out lie' dees...Den joo sebbaraid jore budcheegs a leel bit to make-a rum for dee feenger. Wance joo do dat, ees issy to star skretchin an' it feel so goot!

Look at da phases of da plauyerss in da backgrouun. Deuy mye be tooneen me ow awready. Jus a hunch Geraldo>

#261843 - 02/26/10 10:58 PM Re: OT: Manny All Set In Cleeflen! [Re: Brue Two]
hondo9 Offline
10 and 5 Guy

Loc: Hinda Smolten
Originally Posted By: Brue Two

Look at da phases of da plauyerss in da backgrouun. Deuy mye be tooneen me ow awready. Jus a hunch Geraldo>

Yeah, if I'm a player, I'm not exactly chomping at the bit for instruction from a manager who's career record is among the all-time worst. Sucks to be Cleeflen, but maybe they do a better job of cutting the grass up there. Gotta wonder whose cack he sat on to get where he is today, but hey.... he did win a GCL trophy.

Tree year contrack?!

**muttley**

#261864 - 02/27/10 10:07 AM Re: OT: Manny All Set In Cleeflen! [Re: hondo9]
08Cubs Offline
10 and 5 Guy

Loc: Caddies

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2010/02/no_swingers_allowed_cleveland.html

Quote:
No swing zone: Today is the second and final day for "tracking' practice by hitters. Pitchers are throwing to them at full speed, but the hitters just watch the pitches go by. There's no screen in front of the pitcher and there's no batting cage for the hitter. It looks like the hitters are posing for pictures.

This is manager Manny Acta's idea.

#261865 - 02/27/10 10:11 AM Re: OT: Manny All Set In Cleeflen! [Re: 08Cubs]
08Cubs Offline
10 and 5 Guy

Loc: Caddies

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2010/02/manager_manny_acta_inspires_wi.html

Quote:
Manager Manny Acta inspires with action and words: Indians Insider
By Paul Hoynes, The Plain Dealer
February 27, 2010, 1:05AM

GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- Manager Manny Acta threw a curveball to reporters Thursday when he said he was going to give his "Vincente Lombardo" speech to his players before the Indians first full-squad workout Friday.

Vincente Lombardo, translated, is a reference to football coaching legend Vince Lombardi.

"I just dropped that name on you guys," said Acta after Friday's workout. "I'm not a Vince Lombardi-type guy. I'm a John Wooden-type of guy. I've never met him personally, but coach Wooden has made the most impact on my career as a coach. I read his biography and a lot of other books."

Acta's said he's used Wooden's pyramid of success theory wherever he's won in the minors and winter ball.

"John Wooden is all about the team," said Acta. "No individual is above the team. That is the kind of mind-set you want to set in your guys. Also, you need to be a major-league person before you become a major-league player.

"He believes good things happen to good people. It worked for him. You have to admire a guy who has lived the way he has lived. And a guy who had the patience to lose for 14 years in a row and then became the greatest [men's college basketball] coach ever in this country."

Wooden is the former UCLA basketball coach who won 10 straight NCAA championships.

The Indians have been picked to finish last or close to last in the AL Central this year. The Sporting News ranks them as the worst team in the big leagues. Acta touched on that in his speech.

#261879 - 02/27/10 01:04 PM Re: OT: Manny All Set In Cleeflen! [Re: 08Cubs]
Natsman** Offline
10 and 5 Guy

Loc: Face first in Gash
Originally Posted By: Manny Acta08Cubs
"I'm not a Vince Lombardi-type guy. I'm a John Wooden-type of guy.

to me you're more like the dog i saw on animal planet the other night that did a trick where he won't move an inch even with a piece of filet mignon sitting on his effin nose.

#261891 - 02/27/10 02:20 PM Re: OT: Manny All Set In Cleeflen! [Re: Natsman**]
hondo9 Offline
10 and 5 Guy

I was going to post something about three hours ago in response to Cubbies' Manny report, but only just now have I stopped laughing long enough to be able to...

He's a real pisser, that Manny. What else is there to say?

#261907 - 02/27/10 06:27 PM Re: OT: Manny All Set In Cleeflen! [Re: 08Cubs]
hondo9 Offline
10 and 5 Guy

Originally Posted By: Manny
I'm a John Wooden-type of guy....have to admire a guy who had the patience to lose for 14 years in a row and then became the greatest [men's college basketball] coach ever in this country."

The Indians have been picked to finish last or close to last in the AL Central this year. The Sporting News ranks them as the worst team in the big leagues...

Uh-huh. It's almost as though he doesn't mind any of it. Nice gig he's got...Low expectations from management and the press every year, $500K paycheck coming in. What more do ya need? Wins? Nah, why bother? "Tracking practice" - Jesus H. F*cking Flores, I believe I've heard it all now.

#261909 - 02/27/10 07:25 PM Re: OT: Manny All Set In Cleeflen! [Re: hondo9]
ridgely Offline
10 and 5 Guy

Loc: Silver Spring,MD
They'll be howling down the in Flats after couple of months watching his Cigar Store Indian act,with his only show of intensity is chewing his gum.

#261911 - 02/27/10 07:48 PM Re: OT: Manny All Set In Cleeflen! [Re: ridgely]
hondo9 Offline
10 and 5 Guy

Originally Posted By: ridgely
They'll be howling down the in Flats after couple of months watching his Cigar Store Indian act,with his only show of intensity is chewing his gum.

I don't care if a manager emotes or not. It's not really the point, so long as he knows wtf he is doing. The fact that Manny didn't show emotions is comendable in most cases. The fact that he rarely did anything aggressively is what's not. When Riggleman came in, he got a lot more inventive with the game plan and he commanded respect among his players. While no players cut on Manny directly, they were quick to praise Riggleman for his approach, as if to point out what had been missing all along.

#261951 - 02/28/10 02:17 PM Re: OT: Manny All Set In Cleeflen! [Re: hondo9]
NeedaNewNick Offline
10 and 5 Guy

Loc: Norsern Percheenya
If you're not planning to win for a few seasons, why pay a real manager an MLB salary when you can get Manny for the price of a league minimum rookie?

And I really like his Vince Lombardi - John Wooden metaphor. Like it's a question of which philosophy he follows, not the fact that he'll never have half the win percentage of either one.

Page 3 of 234 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 233 234 >