BallparkGuys

Third Base

Posted By: TBP

Third Base - 16/12/2019 18:49

I was sad to see Rendon go, and it leaves the Nationals with a hole at 3B.

Carter Kieboom is probably very close to ready, so he can man 2B or 3B

I'm reading that the Nationals are the frontrunners for Donaldson. Right now, the issue is the fourth year. (Give him the years, train minor-league IF Luis Garcia as a 3B, move Donaldson to 1B when Zim finally retires in a couple of years.) Atlanta is the main competition. Backup plans apparently include Maikel Franco and Kyle Seager. It looks like they're fading on Bryant. (Most of this is from Jon Heyman.)

They've also been in talks with 2B Starlin Castro. I don't know how serious, but that points to an alternative way of solving the problem: sign a 2B and use Kieboom at 3B. In the meantime, they should re-sign Cabrera.
Posted By: SilverFox1

Re: Third Base - 03/01/2020 16:46

Sword bess.
Posted By: PowerBoater69

Re: Third Base - 04/01/2020 01:23

I'm a big fan of third base, undoubtedly the best of the bases.
Posted By: martin

Re: Third Base - 05/01/2020 01:26

rumor here is that Donaldson will sign with the braves as early as Monday ....4 years $104 million

Re: Third Base - 07/01/2020 00:20

if so, let the braves have him. dude's going on 35. dont want to have his ass in years 3 and 4 of a gynormous deal like that. guys like howie kendrick who CAN hit in their senior years are the exception. but donaldson can mash, no question. have fun in atlanta, josh.

Re: Third Base - 08/01/2020 14:52

An excerpt from NBC Sports Washington about Donaldson chatting with Doolittle:

They played together for three years after starting in Oakland’s system in 2008. So, when Donaldson reached out in November, Doolittle had two things on his mind.

“I said, hey, I hope you get taken care of with your contract and everything, and I really hope we can work something out and you end up wearing the Curly W because I think I would love to share a clubhouse with him again,” Doolittle told NBC Sports Washington. “I would love nothing more than to watch him do his thing from the same dugout.”

Re: Third Base - 08/01/2020 14:59

If Doolittle made those comments to Donaldson as far back as November, right after they won the WS, it suggests it was commonly known that Rendon was out the door to another team. And not interested in returning.

If The Nats don't sign Donaldson, there will be the inevitable complaining by fans that Rizzo should have prioritized signing Rendon over Strasburg. But Rendon apparently wasn't coming back.

Re: Third Base - 15/01/2020 13:54

Donaldson is crossing his arms and holding firm despite getting offers in the "$100m range". But will sign first 4 yr offer for $110 million.

Oh until he signs one for 4 yrs for $92 million for the only club left interested in the guy.

Re: Third Base - 14/02/2020 13:07

Originally Posted by TBP
I was sad to see Rendon go

Wow. So you didn't pee in your pants and throw a tantrum like last year when Bryce left? Gee, guess our little baby is growing up.

Re: Third Base - 16/02/2020 03:40

Originally Posted by SilverFox1
Gee, guess our little baby is growing up.

No, apparently, you're not.

Re: Third Base - 20/02/2020 14:02

Oh c'mon Brenda. Don't cry.

Re: Third Base - 23/02/2020 22:35

SilverFox1, you are the most hateful, immature, ill-tempered poster I have ever encountered, and I've encountered many on this board and others. Your posts all sound like a not-too-bright seven-year-old.

Re: Third Base - 27/02/2020 12:09

Oh, you're starting to look into the mirror . Nice. This is a sign of improvement.

Originally Posted by TBP
SilverFox1, you are the most ill-tempered poster I have ever encountered, and I've encountered many on this board and others.

Yes Brenda, you SURE HAVE encountered ill-tempered posters on the Nats board. You've gotten more beatings from posters on this board than any other donk
that's ever posted here, aside from DCFan. If there has been 1 pinata on this board over the years, it is you, my dear.

Look, you should be ecstatic right now. You actually started a baseball thread THAT HAD REPLIES TO IT.
When was the last time anyone replied to any of your threads (or your dumb baseball posts, for that matter?)
When Lincoln was president, probably.

Re: Third Base - 29/02/2020 19:40

You'd do well to stop embarrassing yourself, you infant.

Re: Third Base - 29/02/2020 23:24

Kieboom ain't Rendon

Re: Third Base - 01/03/2020 15:02

Infant ?!

Originally Posted by TBP
You'd do well to stop embarrassing yourself, you infant.

Well, speaking of infants, you're not going to serenade the board once again with pics of underage kids ?

Don't worry. You can always go back and delete them. Just like the nude pics you posted a few months ago.

Re: Third Base - 02/03/2020 03:34

Originally Posted by PowerBoater69
Kieboom ain't Rendon

He'll be fine.

Re: Third Base - 02/03/2020 14:55

Kieboom ain't Rendon

Rizzo on 106.7 this morning: if Kieboom's ready for the Bigs than great. If he's not, no problem. We're not gonna rush him.

Went on to talk about how much harder it is to learn/play 3B versus all the other IF positions. And that Kendricks, Cabrera, and Castro each have decent experience at 3B.

No reason to bet the house on Kieboom for 2020 at this point. Besides he's only 21. He's got time.

Re: Third Base - 02/03/2020 19:19

Kieboom ain't Rendon

Rizzo on 106.7 this morning: if Kieboom's ready for the Bigs than great. If he's not, no problem. We're not gonna rush him.

Went on to talk about how much harder it is to learn/play 3B versus all the other IF positions. And that Kendricks, Cabrera, and Castro each have decent experience at 3B.

No reason to bet the house on Kieboom for 2020 at this point. Besides he's only 21. He's got time.

Makes sense, someone will play third, they won't be as good as Rendon but hopefully we improved enough elsewhere to make up the difference.

But how hard can it be to learn to play third? It is a tough position physically but is it really that complicated? Catch the ball and throw out the runner, maybe shift once in a while.

Re: Third Base - 02/03/2020 22:00

Rizzo said SS and 3B are the toughest IF positions -- at 3B you get the hardest hit balls there, the most swinging bunts, the most hits off the bats with weird spins, having to make crazy ass throws off 1 foot, etc.

Scherzer was interviewed too. Loved 1 question in particular about his huge contract. "Hey Max, what's it like to make FU money?!" Priceless.

Re: Third Base - 02/03/2020 23:47

The ball comes at you faster at 3B.

Re: Third Base - 02/03/2020 23:58

Originally Posted by TBP
The ball comes at you faster at 3B.

Definitely. An incredibly difficult position to play. I just disagree that you need to be a brain surgeon to play there.

Re: Third Base - 03/03/2020 14:28

Martinez this morning on 106.7: The 3B job is Kieboom's to lose ( yeah well, what else is he gonna say).
Says his glove is not a problem right now. Footwork and throwing are the issues.

If you look at Kieboom's error history in the minors at 2B and SS, it's hard to imagine the guy being ready to be the everyday 3B by Opening Day. Hope I'm wrong.

Martinez said Strasburg walked into his office in Sept '18 and said he wanted to shut it down for the rest of that season. Told Davey his velocity was down, but he wasnt injured or anything, and physically he felt fine.
Martinez told him NO WAY you aint shuttin jack down.

Re: Third Base - 03/03/2020 14:50

Rizzo will probably give Kieboom a couple months to get his shit together, about four times longer than the fans will like.

Nice story about Martinez and Strasburg. If that's the whole story it's interesting that Stras didn't run to Rizzo or Lerner to complain. That was the same time frame when the bullpen was in open revolt against Martinez.

Re: Third Base - 03/03/2020 17:39

If that's the whole story it's interesting that Stras didn't run to Rizzo or Lerner to complain. That was the same time frame when the bullpen was in open revolt against Martinez.

Great point.

Re: Third Base - 03/03/2020 20:24

Rizzo will probably give Kieboom a couple months to get his shit together, about four times longer than the fans will like.

Or not. Remember, Cabrera, Kendrick, and Castro can all play 3B, and if Kieboom goes to Fresno for about a month or so then can gain an extra year of control.

He needs to work on his defense at 3B. The ball comes at you faster than it does at shortstop.

Re: Third Base - 03/03/2020 20:34

Probably Cabrera and some Castro. Kendrick was terrible at second, he'd be worse at third. Castro has 366 career innings at third, OK as a fill in but not the guy you look for going into the season.

Good point about keeping Kieboom down until early May to gain a service year.

Re: Third Base - 04/03/2020 12:07

Probably Cabrera and some Castro. Kendrick was terrible at second, he'd be worse at third. Castro has 366 career innings at third, OK as a fill in but not the guy you look for going into the season.

Good point about keeping Kieboom down until early May to gain a service year.

Brooks Robinson and Craig Nettles were talking about playing 3B and how they both hated it when Frank Howard hit. They said that more than any hitter they feared Big Frank.
And despite K'ing Hondo in the '71 All Star Game, Tom Seaver said he was just relieved that Frank didn't hit the ball his way and maybe take his head off.

Not understanding why The Nats dont just put Kieboom at 2B and let the vets fight it out at 3B. That way Kieboom doesnt have the pressure to replace Rendon, and he can also play a position that's less taxing.

Re: Third Base - 04/03/2020 20:58

I expect we'll see a lot of shuffling the pieces around by Martinez trying to find a combination that works. I'm not sure if Rendon will be worth all that money over the length of the contract but for 2020 it could get ugly without him.

Re: Third Base - 05/03/2020 21:45

Nice story about Martinez and Strasburg. If that's the whole story it's interesting that Stras didn't run to Rizzo or Lerner to complain.

"Ya know, I feel fine, and physically I'm A-Ok and I don't have any injuries. But since the velocity is down on my fastball, I wanna shut it down for the rest of the season".

In contrast, last year Turner played with a broken finger for most of the season, and Aaron Barrett went thru Hell to make it back. All of which casts the Strasburg of 2018 into an incredibly bad light. Hopefully last season has showed that Stras really has grown up.

Re: Third Base - 05/03/2020 22:52

NBC Sports Washington:

Asdrúbal Cabrera and Howie Kendrick are in line to play third base if Kieboom cannot correct his current course. He’s hitting .214 coming into Thursday, but has walked six times.

The two errors on his ledger should really be three. A generous scoring decision kept him from a third when a well-hit ball went through the middle of his legs. His play thus far has not quelled the concerns from last year.

The difference between him and Cabrera in the field is striking and unsurprising. Cabrera is smooth, calm and almost nonchalant. Kieboom looks like he is sparring with the ball at times. One has played four infield positions across 13 major-league seasons. The other made nine starts at third base for Triple-A Fresno last year, when he was informed the slide from shortstop to third is now the new situation.

Re: Third Base - 05/03/2020 23:45

nats hosting cards. kieboom takes a ground ball at 3b. has a ton of time to make a throw. chucks a one hopper to first.

Re: Third Base - 06/03/2020 03:00

Kieboom should do fine. He may not be ready immediately, but they have guys. Cabrera can hold the fort. With Castro and Thames, they have gone a long way towards replacing Rendon offensively, and Kieboom figures to be a strong contributor, as soon as he's ready defensively. And the pitchingis better, notably the bullpen.

Re: Third Base - 06/03/2020 11:42

This isn't about whether or not Kieboom "should do fine". This is about March 26th.

Re: Third Base - 06/03/2020 13:04

This isn't about whether or not Kieboom "should do fine". This is about March 26th.

Can't post things like that anymore. The Nats will make a video and ridicule you for suggesting that games before June matter.

Re: Third Base - 06/03/2020 13:15

Originally Posted by TBP
Kieboom should do fine. He may not be ready immediately, but they have guys. Cabrera can hold the fort. With Castro and Thames, they have gone a long way towards replacing Rendon offensively, and Kieboom figures to be a strong contributor, as soon as he's ready defensively. And the pitchingis better, notably the bullpen.

I'd say that Castro and Thames go a little way towards replacing Rendon. Agreed that the most improved position is bullpen, but is that the only spot of improvement? There's a lot of attention on the Infield right now but we got lucky last year that Soto, Robles, and Eaton stayed healthy, we are very thin behind them.

Re: Third Base - 06/03/2020 13:34

3B aside, the age of this team is another consideration -- we all know Zimm, Suzuki, Scherzer, Kendricks, Cabrera, Anibal, and Hudson played huge roles in the playoffs last season. Each of those guys is Age 34 or more. They're at an age where injuries & diminishing skills start to set in at some point (add 35 year old Will Harris to that list). Hopefully the Nats can make it thru 2020 with these guys playing well and, most importantly, staying healthy. It helps that those position players listed are not starting the season as everyday players (unless Kieboom continues sucking. Cabrera will then likely be the everyday 3B). But every single one of those pitchers' staying healthy is crucial to team success.

Kendricks' success last season was due in part because he was not a full timer -- so he was fresh for the playoffs. If younger guys get hurt and these older guys need to step in and pile up alot of playing time, that aint the best scenario.

Re: Third Base - 06/03/2020 14:42

Great point, we should definitely expect diminishing returns for several of our aging players.

A big offset to that is our payroll. The Nats went into the penalty in 2017 and 2018 and last year COTS projected that they were over again although Rizzo somehow ducked under. As of now COTS has the Nats at $14 million under, a lot of money still available to spend. I can't remember Rizzo ever going into a season with money in reserve. $14 now is like having $21 when the season is a third over in June so we should be able to fill multiple holes.

Re: Third Base - 06/03/2020 18:34

Originally Posted by TBP
With Castro and Thames, they have gone a long way towards replacing Rendon offensively

I'd say that Castro and Thames go a little way towards replacing Rendon.

Agree 100%. We're talking about replacing a guy who was one of the best hitters on the planet last year. Castro + Thames alone do not go a long way to replace Rendon on offense. Thames is only slightly better than ordinary.

Adam Dunn caught grief for the tons of K's and lousy BA he put up. Thames has the same baggage, even when you look at his #'s versus rightys. But at least Dunn put it over the fence ALOT. Unfortunately, Thames aint even close in matching Dunn's HR power.
Much more optimistic about Castro. Agree too on payroll factor near the trade deadline. Wonder what our payroll looks like vs Phils/Mets/Braves.

Re: Third Base - 06/03/2020 22:21

The Phillies jumped over us, for now, I expect that Rizzo will have the green light to spend. At least I hope, now that the Lerners bought one World Series they need to stay with that model.

PHI 6
Wash 14
NYM 20
ATL 32
MIA 127

Re: Third Base - 07/03/2020 03:17

No, a baseball season is a marathon. If he's not ready by Opening Day, send him down. They have guys who can hold hte fort pretty well until Kieboom is ready. But given the chance, he'll be fine. He may not fully replace Rendon, but he'll be a very strong contributor to the team.

Re: Third Base - 07/03/2020 03:20

we got lucky last year that Soto, Robles, and Eaton stayed healthy, we are very thin behind them.

There's Taylor and there's Stevenson. Not a bad fourth and fifth outfielder.

Re: Third Base - 07/03/2020 16:35

Stevenson is replacement level, fine at the bottom of the roster but not someone we want starting 50 games. Taylor is an easy guy to root for and great on defense but he's past the age where you'd expect him to improve and his offense isn't good enough.

Re: Third Base - 08/03/2020 13:25

Originally Posted by TBP

No, a baseball season is a marathon. If he's not ready by Opening Day, send him down. They have guys who can hold hte fort pretty well until Kieboom is ready. But given the chance, he'll be fine. He may not fully replace Rendon, but he'll be a very strong contributor to the team.

You are incorrect.

Re: Third Base - 08/03/2020 13:48

This team is in trouble if Stevenson needs to be pressed into service as a starter. Soto-Robles-Eaton staying healthy is huge.

He is not bad as a 5th OF'er who comes in late in a game to maintain a lead, give guys a rest, etc. I'm OK with him fetching sunflower seeds for the vets, too.

Re: Third Base - 09/03/2020 03:47

On Nats Talk yesterday, Mike Wallace said he would rather have Stevenson than Brandon Nimmo.

Re: Third Base - 09/03/2020 10:49

Originally Posted by TBP
On Nats Talk yesterday, Mike Wallace said he would rather hve /stevenson than Brandon Nimmo.

Based on what? I'd take the guy who can hit a little.

Re: Third Base - 09/03/2020 11:51

Originally Posted by TBP
On Nats Talk yesterday, Mike Wallace said he would rather hve /stevenson than Brandon Nimmo.

Wallace and Wood spent years defending Danny Espinosa, too. And anyone who disagree with them were just "fans" who didnt understand baseball.
Mike Wallace is a smart baseball guy, but he and Phil always defend Nats players to the hilt. They have to. They're MASN cash checkers. Same with Carp and Santangelo. Still remember the night Santangelo referred to Espinosa as one of the best players in baseball.

Re: Third Base - 09/03/2020 12:21

I liked Espinosa, he had a pretty good upside, 20 HRs per year and great defense. If he had been playing short with Desmond at second we might have beat the Cardinals in 2012. Too bad he was too much of a head case to change his approach at the plate, always wanted to swing for power. Even Dusty Baker couldn't fix that guy.

Re: Third Base - 25/03/2020 15:01

Nats still assert Kieboom will be the 3B Opening Day. Maybe when he fields grounders we'll have time to put a spare virus mask over our eyes.
© 2020 BallparkGuys